Hot summer weather is great for planning beach trips and BBQs, but it can be a nightmare to sleep in. If air conditioning isn’t an option, then try these five tips to beat the summer heat and get a good night’s sleep.
1. Increase air circulation- Fans make you feel cooler by increasing the rate sweat evaporates from the skin and also by redistributing the air. To maximize the fan’s effectiveness, try placing the fan in front of a window if it’s cooler outside. If it’s hotter outside, then place a bucket of ice between the fan and your bed.
2. Change your sheets- It’s time to ditch the flannel sheets for something more lightweight. Look for natural fibers since they’ll help wick away moisture and are much more breathable than synthetics. Linen and percale are great choices.
3. Take a cold shower- Before hopping into bed, take a cold shower to temporarily cool off, which will help you fall asleep faster. It will also make you more comfortable in bed by removing the sweat and stickiness built up during the day. For additional cooling relief, try using a peppermint infused shower gel.
4. Keep the sun out- Sunlight shining through the window will increase the temperature of your home. Closing the blinds during the day will maintain a cooler temperature that will carry into the night.
5. Freeze your bedding- Place your pillowcases, or all of your sheets, into a reclosable bag and then leave them in the freezer until you’re ready for bed. You can also try using items specifically made to be put in the freezer, like this soothing neck pillow. This simple trick takes sleeping on the cool side of the pillow to a whole other level.