Ahhh, college. Studying, friends, late night pizza, and … tiny dorm rooms. Though it can seem daunting, it’s absolutely possible to transform a small space into a fabulous (and functional) abode. If your son or daughter is headed off to school this fall, here are a few tips to help them make their very own cozy nest.
1. Organization is key. This is especially crucial in small spaces where things have a tendency to get cluttered easily. By using bins, totes, or stylish containers, you can transform a small space into a chic retreat.
2. Repurpose antique furniture. Thrift stores, antique shops, and even yard sales often have unique pieces that won’t break the bank. By simply adding a coat of paint, you can hide furniture flaws and give older items a fresh look.
3. Find creative uses for space. Try “lofting” or raising your bed to make more storage space underneath. Or, if your storage areas are exposed, you can disguise them with curtains or beads – très chic!
4. Add mirrors. Giving the illusion of a larger space, mirrors instantly add dimension. Plus, they work well as inexpensive wall treatments.
5. Make sure your room is comfortable. This is by far the most important element of a great dorm room. By having soft bedding and plush pillows, you’ll be more apt to sleep well and wake up feeling refreshed.
Tell us, what’s your advice for creating a stylish dorm room?