Now thru Monday, save 20% off all regularly priced items and up to 60% on already-reduced comforters at our Outlet Store in Freeport, Maine! It’s the perfect time to revamp your bedroom and wardrobe with new, warm weather essentials, like our temperature regulating comforter and breathable, lightweight pajamas in fresh prints! Our outlet store also has home decor, accessories, locally made items and gifts you won’t find online or in our catalog. For driving directions, click here!
We spend about a third of our lives sleeping, so comfortable bedding is something you’ve probably already thought about, but have you considered the environmental and health factors of your bedding? If you’re familiar with our website or catalog, you’ve probably noticed that many of our products are Oeko-Tex® Certified. If you’re not sure what that means, let us explain!
Products with the Oeko-Tex® label are free from more than 300 harmful substances that could pose health risks, including allergenic dyes and bleaches. Certification is only given after the product passes strict laboratory testing and requirements. At Cuddledown, we believe in safeguarding the environment and your health by providing fabric that is both high quality and safe. When you use our Oeko-Tex® Certified products, you can rest easy knowing that the fabrics are free from harmful chemicals and safe for your entire family. Plus, by keeping these harmful chemicals out of our fabrics, they are being kept out of the environment once the useful life of the product is over.
For more information on Oeko-Tex® certification, check out our video, and read more about the certification process in our resource center.
Mother’s Day is this Sunday! If you haven’t gotten a gift yet, don’t worry, we’re here to help! Shop our Freeport Outlet Store for great deals on a wide selection of sleepwear, slippers and loungewear. You can also give Mom something she’ll appreciate all year round- a good night’s sleep with our luxurious bedding! Plus, we carry unique gift items not available in our catalog or online, including an expanded selection of eco-friendly Caldrea® products, cute accessories like scarves and jewelry, and even locally-made cards. We’ve got everything you need for Mother’s Day!
If you prefer shopping from the comfort of your own home or want some ideas before heading to the store, check out our Mother’s Day Gift Guide. And for the mom who has everything, you can’t go wrong with a Cuddledown Gift Card.
No matter what you decide to get, we hope you have a wonderful Mother’s Day and spend quality time together.
Busted! by Andrew d’Entremont via Flickr
It’s time for spring cleaning again! If cleaning your entire house seems like a daunting task, reduce stress by breaking it up and focusing on one area at a time. We’ll help you get started with some quick tips to organize an important part of your home – your linen closet. An organized linen closet will make finding the right sheets and towels a breeze, saving time and effort throughout the year.
1. Start by going through your closet and determine what you should keep, donate, re-purpose or toss. If you’ve been keeping random, mismatched pieces that you “might use” one day and haven’t touched in years, it’s time to part ways. After sorting through your stockpile, wipe down your shelves and let them dry before putting things back.
2. Label your shelves or storage bins by either the size or room that each towel or sheet set belongs to. By having designated sections within your closet, finding exactly what you’re looking for will be a snap.
3. Keep your sheet sets even more organized and easily accessible by folding the sheets, shams, pillowcases and duvet cover into one of the coordinating pillowcases. That way, you won’t have to rummage through everything, causing a mess in the process. Keeping your most-used items at eye level or below will also help prevent neatly folded stacks from toppling over as you take out specific items. Seasonal linens should be stored on the top shelves in dust bags.
- Sneeze by mcfarlandmo via Flickr
If you’ve got seasonal allergies, then you know that in addition to more sun and warmer weather, springtime is also the season of runny noses, sneezing and itchy/watery eyes. Allergy season can also lead to restless nights since symptoms don’t stop at bedtime, but with a few changes and some planning, that doesn’t have to be the case!
1. Use a HEPA filter in your bedroom to reduce the amount of pollen, dust and pet dander in the air. HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filters work by trapping debris in a fine mesh filter as air passes through. And speaking of pet dander, it’s best to keep your furry friends out of the bedroom, especially during allergy season. That’s because their fur is a magnet for dirt and pollen.
2. Washing your sheets more often can also help reduce nighttime allergy suffering. If doing laundry at least once a week doesn’t work into your schedule, keep an extra set of sheets on hand. Showering before bed, instead of in the morning, will also help keep symptoms at bay and prevent the pollen collected on your skin and hair from transferring onto your sheets. For even more protection, use anti-allergy bedding.
3. Know when you need a new mattress or pillow. Unlike sheets and bedding, pillows and mattresses are much more cumbersome to clean, but still collect dust, pollen and even mold! Mattresses should be replaced every 7-10 years while pillows should be replaced more frequently.
After a very long and snowy winter, we’re excited for milder spring weather! Maine is also a great place to visit in the spring because of its many annual events, ranging from outdoor activities like canoe races to fancy dinners with professional chefs and sommeliers. Check out a few of our favorites below.
Join others from 3-4:30pm in Monument Square, Portland for a giant pillow fight!
Pillow Fight!!! by Jessica Lehrman via Flickr
During the first weekend of National Park Week, admission to Acadia is free for all visitors.
Golden Sunrise, Thunder Hole, Acadia National Park by Dave Wilson via Flickr
Enjoy a variety of Maine seafood while learning about marine life!
Shellharbour Food Photography by Vanessa Pike-Russell via Flickr
For more reasons to enjoy spring in Maine, check out this list of 25 spring events at Maine Today. You can also get the inside scoop on the best places in Maine by visiting our Employee Favorites page!
Don’t miss your chance to save up to 80% on select bedding, sleepwear, blankets, apparel and more during our Warehouse Clearance Event! Quantities are limited, so shop now for the best selection.
coco+kelley by James Stephoto via Flickr
Immediately pull a room together or bring interest to barren walls by adding the right piece of wall art. If you’re not sure where to start, follow our three simple steps below!
1. Size- Use the size of the wall as a guide. A single small piece will look out of place on a large wall and a large piece may overwhelm a small space. You can also use several small pieces to create a collection that carries the impact of a larger piece.
2. Color- When choosing colors, think about the mood of the room. Cool tones, such as blues and greens, evoke calmness and relaxation while warmer tones are usually energizing and inviting.
3. Style- Ultimately, you want to choose pieces that you like and will want to look at. Therefore, whether it’s a modern or traditional piece, make sure it matches your own taste and preferences. Wall art also doesn’t strictly mean paintings and posters; try decorating with mirrors, framed fabric, clocks or anything else that can hang on a wall and interests you. A great resource for unique wall art is Cuddledown.com- we have lots of new wall decor and mirror options!
P.S. When hanging the art, it’s best to keep the center of the image at eye level. And if you’re hanging the artwork above your bed, sofa or table, keep the bottom edge of it 6 to 12 inches above the furniture.
Save 20% off storewide, including clearance items, during our March Clearance Sale Event at our Freeport Outlet Store! Stock up on some fantastic deals and great outlet savings on bedding, sleepwear, slippers, towels and more! Plus, we offer unique gifts and other items not found in our catalog or online. All with the same fabulous Cuddledown quality you’ve come to love! The sale ends Monday- don’t miss it!
In last night’s episode of Mike & Molly, “Buy the Book,” you may have noticed something familiar in the scene where Peggy tells Molly a story. Did you see it? (more…)
400 Thread Count Sateen is a customer and employee favorite. If you’ve never felt the all-over silky touch of cotton sateen sheets, then you owe it to yourself to try them- and what better time than during our 400 Thread Count Sateen Sale Event! (more…)
If you’re a fan of our Bamboo Towels, then you know how luxuriously soft and absorbent they are. Like any quality linen, you’ll want to keep your towels at their best. To protect your lovely towels from detergent buildup, hard water and roughness, here are some simple tips to try.
1. Do not use fabric softeners- Ironically, fabric softener creates a waxy residue on towel fibers, causing them to become stiff and less absorbent. To get your towels nice and fluffy, try using dryer balls, clean tennis balls or our down fluffer rings.
2. Use the extra rinse cycle- Over time, detergent residue can also build up on towel fibers, especially if too much detergent is used. To prevent this from happening, use the extra rinse cycle and make sure your washer isn’t overloaded so that the towels have room to move freely. To remove detergent build-up, add a cup of white vinegar when washing and don’t forget the extra rinse cycle to keep the towels from smelling like vinegar!
3. Lastly, our Bamboo Towels should be washed and dried on lower settings, as hot temperatures can break down the fibers. We recommend washing with warm water and drying with low heat. Also, take care when using cleansers containing benzoyl peroxide, as it can cause discoloration in fabrics.
We hope these tips help and if you ever have any questions or comments about caring for your Cuddledown products, please let us know!
Infographic via the National Sleep Foundation
Since everyone has differences in lifestyles and genes, the exact number of hours needed for sleep varies from person to person, but sleep experts have been able to produce a general guideline to use as a rule-of-thumb. Recently, the National Sleep Foundation updated its recommendations after two years of extensive research and examining more than 300 studies. The Sleep Foundation warns that getting too much or too little sleep on a regular basis is linked to, among other consequences, diabetes, obesity and poor judgment. In other words, make sure you get enough rest! Visit www.sleepfoundation.org to learn more.
Our Presidents’ Day Weekend Sale ends tonight! Don’t miss your chance to save 20% off sitewide, including clearance! If you happen to be in Maine, visit our Freeport Outlet Store to save 20% off everything storewide!