Green blast, by JPDaigle on flickr
With warmer weather and longer days, it’s the perfect time to open up the windows and do some much-needed spring cleaning! Luckily, a thorough scrub no longer means that you have to fill your home with harsh chemicals. Instead, why not use some of the great green cleaners that are readily available – or make your own! Here are a few eco-friendly cleansers you can easily make with ingredients found in your cupboards.
1. Drain Cleaner: As recommended by Apartment Therapy, you can clear a stubborn drain with baking soda, vinegar, and boiling water. Simply pour 1/2 cup baking soda into the drain, followed by 1 cup vinegar. Let it sit and fizz for 15 minutes, then rinse with hot or boiling water. Repeat as needed, or let the baking soda and vinegar sit in the drain overnight.
2. Fabric Softener: The blog Fabulously Frugal has several great tutorials for DIY green cleaning products, including one for fabric softener. In a large pitcher, combine 6 cups hot water, 3 cups white vinegar, and 2 cups hair conditioner. Stir until mixture is smooth. To use, add approximately 1/4 cup of the mixture to the fabric softener dispenser in your washer.
3. Kitchen Counter Disinfectant: As seen on thedailygreen.com, you can make your own disinfectant by combining 2 cups of water, 3 tablespoons of liquid soap and 20 to 30 drops of tea tree oil. The mixture can be sprayed or rubbed onto countertops.
4. Tile and Grout Paste: The website greenlivingideas.com is full of helpful hints for eco-friendly living, as well as several DIY projects. To make a tile and grout paste, they recommend combining 1 cup water and 3 cups baking soda. Mix the ingredients into a paste, and use a toothbrush to scrub it into grout.
5. Toilet Cleaner/Deodorizer: Better Homes and Gardens has many simple green cleaner recipes, including this one for a toilet scrub/deodorizer. Sprinkle 1/4 cup baking soda into the toilet bowl and gradually add 1/4 cup vinegar. Scour with a toilet brush.
Do you have a favorite green cleaner? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!