This Saturday, here at Cuddledown, we’ll await with anticipation the appearance of Punxsutawney Phil, who will let us know with a twitch of his furry whiskers, if we’re in for a long winter or not. The history of this unique day makes for a interesting read. Groundhog Day most likely was a European (perhaps German) tradition originally involving a hedgehog, which was translated here in the USA to a groundhog!
Regardless of what Phil says, we here in New England know that February 2 is really the heart of winter, and true spring won’t be here for a while! To beat the cabin fever we all get while waiting for the cold, dreary weather to end, we’d like to share some tips for things you can do to get you to spring.
Top ten things to do to prepare for Spring and beat the winter blues!
- Make over your bedroom or the living room with a simple decor refresh such as adding new decorative pillows
- Replace your sheets – getting a good night’s sleep will energize you in low light time
- Organize your home with convenient containers
- Simplify your weekly routine by scheduling repeated tasks (ie laundry, food prep, shopping, vacuuming)
- Change your laundry detergent to an eco-friendly, healthier version
- Give your pet’s bed a refresh
- Add an exercise or meditation routine to create an oasis from life’s stresses; plus treat yourself to a soothing lavender pillow
- Force flowers or start seeds indoors for spring gardening
- Plan a trip to a place you’ve always dreamed of, and be sure to bring your own personal travel pillow for comfort
- Know that regardless of what the Groundhog says, Spring will arrive, one way or another!