Old Times '06 by fred.andres, on flickr
Even though it’s not quite back-to-school time yet, it isn’t too early to start thinking about ways to decorate the dorm. Granted, dorm rooms aren’t always the coziest places (think linoleum floors and worn-out mattresses), but with a little TLC, they can be made much more comfortable – and stylish, too! Here are a few simple ways your college-bound student can perk up his or her space.
1. Add a DIY Headboard. If your child is lucky enough to have a relatively spacious dorm room, she might consider making a cute headboard to add personality to the space. A handy headboard tutorial can be found at HGTV.com.
2. Decorate walls with removable wallpaper. If allowed by the school, dress up a plain wall with patterned peel-off paper! To find out how to make your own, our post on DIY wallpaper has everything you’ll need to know.
3. Top the bed with a colorful comforter. A bright, fun comforter will not only keep your child cozy, but also will make a drab dorm room more cheerful. Our Meribel comforters are available in both down and synthetic fills, and come in several bold colors. Even better – they’re now on sale!
4. Bring in a hardy plant. Not only do plants purify the air, they also add beauty to desks and night tables. When selecting a plant, choose one that’s relatively low-maintenance, like cactus or aloe vera.
5. Look to Pinterest. For more decorating tips, follow us on Pinterest, where you’ll find ideas for simple DIY projects, upcycled decor, room inspiration and more.
Tell us, what are your tips for decorating tiny spaces? We’d love to hear!